Thursday, June 7, 2007

Juliet's Breast & Lago Majoré

It was a misty morning and I had decided to skip breakfast again. I'm not sure but I think I was kinda avoiding people in general. You see, normally, I achieve some quality alone time, a day to myself every so often, just to chill but on a tour it's difficult. That's where my new speakers came in, if I couldn't get a day of alone time, I'd have music to keep me going, and now I could have it in the shower too. Ah... quality time. :-)

What was interesting was that news seemed to be spreading about my performance last night. I guess news travels fast in a group of 38 travelling in a metal box for extended periods of time. It seems some felt cheated since they'd missed out... the pressure will be on to do another song for the group as a whole. Why'd I open my mouth!

As I was saying, it was a misty morning as we boarded the bus, working out which was our seat for the day. The clouds had descended during the night and were still clinging to them. On our agenda today was a happy snap at Lake Misorina, then we were off to Verona for a brief visit before heading in the direction of Milan, stopping at Lake Majore.

We were passing through the Lavaro Mountains, the ones that embrace Lake Misorina. Apparently, there is a witch in the mountains when it rains. Oogada-boogada!!! Fine, I hear your groans. Anyway, unfortunately, we couldn't see the lake yet 'cos of the cloud but apparently it reflects the blue of the eyes of a woman's love. But then, when she sees her love coming down the mountain on the other side, it reflects her tears of joy. Ahh how romantic!

There were a significant number of people along the side of the road... apparently a cycling race was coming through the mountain. Unfortunately, our plans for a stopover and happy snap at Lake Misorina were dashed when we were headed off at the pass (actually called something like 'five roads') by the Polizia. Apparently the TV vans were in a mess up the mountain blocking the road and we weren't allowed through despite it being reported as being fine to pass this morning before 10am. We turned around and headed back where we came from. I believe it was Abby who commented about the odd behavior of the young men on the side of the road as we passed, they seemed to poke their tongues out really long and down... like one of those mauri masks. It was really quite ugly. One guy, who looked like Anthony, had a pink umbrella hat on! So, we tried another way round... again, no luck, blocked. Only one way out... we weren't seeing the lake at all. It would have been good to see where they have horse racing on a frozen lake every year and ice skating too. Oh well!

Driving through the mountains, it was so serene, calm... lonely. I missed Kerrie and the people back home. Not long before the tour is over and I can more readily call and e-mail people and get a chance to send postcards I couldn't arrange to send.

Before I get onto another love story, I need to relate a gruesome, yet interesting one, it involves a 5,300 year old man. He was found in the fountains and 'hacked' out of the ice. Initially, they didn't know he was so old. Apparently, he came from the copper age. He taught historians a lot about people back then. He died of a wound in his leg or was it his shoulder, whatever. He was stabbed with a spear. His last meal was of deer, grain and spelt. His shoes were layered, deer skin, hay then deer skin again. It took a while to work out what it was but he also had a backpack made of bear skin, how modern! They say though that he carries a curse 'cos everyone who has touched the body has died suddenly of various ailments... but the families have discounted the curse saying that they were just coincidences. But were they? :-o

Now, back to soppy love stories... the question came up... Is the story of Romeo & Juliet true or false? Fact or fiction? Well, evidence seems to indicate that it's true. You see, the Copoletti family moved into Verona, they were supporters of the pope. They had a daughter. In Verona was a very well respected family of nobility who supported the emperor, this was the Motecio family. They had a son. Hmmm, food for thought. :-) I mean, how can it not be true, there's a balcony and everything!

Since we had two and a half hours drive ahead of us Alison decided to play Verdi from her iPod over the speakers... I didn't mind it but this was soon drowned out by Linkin Park, my iPod saves the day again... I've said previously that I like to choose what goes into my ears. I don't like beg force fed aural stimulation.

Another question, why is it that when you ask for pizza, the reply is not, what flavour? That's because there is technically one flavour... the Margarita. This is named after the queen if Italy at the time and only has tomato, mozzarella cheese and basil. It's only us westerners who have made toppings such an artwork, who have made it a meal in itself. Interesting.

Anyway, Verona is famous for its pink marble and Amarone wine. Oh, and white chocolate. The Adjir river runs through Verona. It was one of the original places which used to force visitors to leave weapons at the entrance gate. The entrance gate is of pink marble, naturally. And all of the footpaths are of pink marble too!

When we arrived, we got off the bus and walked into the old part of the city. The first thing of note was some ruins a couple metres below ground and an arch which was up against a building. This was reminiscent of how Rome had proven to have been built upon over time. Not too exciting but interesting nonetheless. It's not like they're gonna find something like that under a footpath in Canberra I guess.

Next thing you know, we've stopped at a random location and Alison is asking which balcony above us is Juliet's... We all look up but none of them look that impressive and it's not like this spot is crowded or anything... She was trying to trick us... it was further along.

Along what could have been just any alley, there was a dark archway and a short tunnel. A soon as you enter, you can see that this is the place, there are people everywhere on the other side. As your eyes adjust you notice that the arch seems to be covered with chewing gum and little notes stuck on the wall with people expressing their love for each other. In fact, it's notable that you can write to "Juliet of Verona", like you can with "Santa Claus". She's a bit of a relationship expert it seems. She'll even reply to your letter, I think it's panel who answer, she doesn't respond herself 'cos that'd just be creepy. Anyway, the arch leads to a small paved courtyard with a tree or vine and you can go into the 14th Century house and up to the famous balcony for 5 Euro. I didn't see any point in checking the view. I'd live. I took a photo of the statue of Juliet just below her balcony. She was quite a small young lady, she was on a pedestal, she was a gold colour, not sure what she was made of. I declined having my photo taken with her. Apparently the thing to do is have your photo taken and touch or rub her breast... This explains why one, her right, is very shiny. You see this is the breast that was promised by Alison since she mislead the males of the bus when she promised a breast and it turned out to be a sign saying "chicken breast" outside the Pisa wall. Juliet was to make us even with the women who got to see Michaelangelo's David in Florence. As soon as Alison learnt I had declined a picture with Juliet, she insisted that I must have my picture taken with her. So, now there is a picture of me with Juliet. Unfortunately for Alison, the battery needed changing in my camera and it wasn't focussing too well. So both are blurry. Not to worry. It was corny anyway. But everyone laughed when I needed to pose again for the second shot... it was fun I guess! :-)

After that, we could all go our separate ways for a wander around. In a large courtyard there were those two poles again... it seems consistent that one of them is the lion with the book under foot... the other symbol seems to change depending on where we are.

I found the arch with the whale bone, I cant remember what the significance of that was, which led to the other courtyard which had a statue of Dante Aligerie, the father of the Italian language, the poet most remembered by the third section (Inferno) of his famous book, The Divine Comedy. The other sections being Paradiso and Purgatory.

My next object to find on this treasure hunt was the Roman Arena, said to hold 26,000 people and depending on where you get your information is the second or third largest in the world! Now, I knew we passed near it on our way in the bus but I must have been spun around a little 'cos I headed in what must have been the wrong direction. After finding the river and getting a nice picture of the bridge I decided to head back in-ish and then suddenly by accident I stumbled across it (from the opposite side I should have... hmmm)... and after only 20 minutes of walking and searching! It was reminiscent of the Colosseum in Rome with its three wall construction except this one was missing its outer wall 'cos it fell over relatively recently, I think 'cos of an earthquake. There seemed to be something going on 'cos it was walled off and had netting around the area but I at least got a good picture through the netting.

I needed to get back but I needed a loo & something to eat. To use the loo I needed to buy food, to buy food I needed money, to get money I needed an ATM (or Bancomat) which seemed to have all disappeared. Meanwhile, I still didn't know where I was or how to get back. So I madly rushed back in what looked like the right direction and just when I'd given up hope, I found a Bancomat, then to my surprise the square. Yay! I was saved! Anyway, I ordered a panini & so could then use the bathroom, what a relief. So, ready to go... I grabbed my Panini and soon worked out what a panini shouldn't taste like... it was really disgusting and so it made friends with the bin the next chance I had to extricate it from my person. I was hoping my coke would sustain me until I found real food. I should have been able to judge their food quality by their bathroom hygiene!

On the trip to Lake Majore it rained outside and I didn't feel very well. At one point my leg hurt in a weird way and I know this is gonna sound odd but it was at this point I regretted not writing a will before I left. I was reminded of Chris' words, "everyone should have a will"... I thought... that quote will be my last thought when I die of DVT! Oh well. So I wrote a small note in my phone that I would leave all my stuff to Ash since he'd benefit most from it & then I thought... this is surely not legal and binding! ... In any case, I still felt quite sick & this was likely why I was having such thought processes so I decided to ignore it, give in and sleep. zzz

I thought I felt a bit better when we arrived at the hotel at Lake Majore but I went upstairs to my room and even when I rested, I felt unwell in my stomach and quite dizzy. This was a pity 'cos even though it was raining, I had a good view from my little balcony. That evening I slept rather than go to drinks with everyone. When I woke later I tried to go out for dinner but couldn't so had room service instead, luckily I still had 15 minutes to order something... I had chicken & veggies. The chicken was nice except I expected breast not half the animal. I hate eating around bones, fat & skin! It's so carnivorous! Plus, I hate the texture.

I felt like talking to someone back home & since the NZ timezone was already too late, I messaged Ash to say I was thinking about calling. I obviously fell asleep soon after and subsequently didn't call when I said I would. What was brilliant was that Ash called me so that boosted my spirits somewhat. It was good to hear from someone I knew since I hadn't heard anyone's voice from home since Rome almost two weeks previous. It was a brilliant end to a miserable evening of feeling sick.

It didn't take long before I was asleep again.

No comments:

Post a Comment