Friday, May 18, 2007

Ah, to be in Rome!

Hi all,

While on my way home last night I stopped at this nice Trattoria. I ate inside where it was warm having lasagna, and french fries with the house wine.. Half a litre is seemed to be the smallest serving which for me was more than enough. I finished off with a brilliant dessert recommended by the waiter.

My only regret/mistake was not noticing that the service charge was left off the bill. This was pointed out after I paid so there was no recourse. This whole tipping/service charge thing may take a while to get used to. I'll know for next time. At least when you sit down for coffee the charge is higher to account for such a charge.

I had a great sleep last night, went to bed about 9pm I think, not sure. I closed up the windows, they're huge, bay style, a seat and with shutters on the inside and large thick curtains. It was about 8am when I woke up and it was totally dark until I opened them and realised the time.

After getting up and leisurely getting ready, mental note: housekeeping is around 9am, I started off in the opposite direction to yesterday's wander.

Now this might sound like a naive and stupid comment but it's amazing how normal everyone looks, all shapes and sizes no real Italian look.

I realised this morning while waking along the street in the hustle and bustle that living elsewhere, like here, is totally doable. I think this is what people are referring to when they say travel "broadens your horizons".

I try my best not to look too touristy, I walk with purpose, not gawking at every building I pass. I don't carry my camera in full view taking pictures of all and sundry. I don't want to be metaphorically canary yellow.

Traffic doesn't really stop even if you're on a crossing or have a green light at the intersection. I've gotten used to this pretty quickly, you just need to be aware of it is all and just be game enough. :-)

In true Terrence style I gave money to a charity, It was something to do with helping the community with a drug problem, I could hardly understand the guy.

This morning I sat across from the Basilica and this huge fountain. Since it was morning I felt OK with asking for a cafélatte (coffee with milk) and a tomato and cheese "sandwich". I love the way they drown everything in olive oil. :-)

Ash, you should see these art stands across from the fountain, some of them are truly brilliant. It's kinda like an on-street painting exhibition with the artists sitting close by on small stools, it's cool. I wish I could buy some of them. Amazing!

I'm hanging out to find a stand that sells coke 'cos I 'm all primed to ask for it in Italian. :-)

My only appointment for the day is for my tour at 4:30 for welcome drinks.

I must wander some more till then...

No comments:

Post a Comment